Benefits Analyst (Actuarial)
Health & Benefits Consulting
The Health & Benefits analyst reports locally to a Senior Consultant and works in a team setting. The successful candidate will be committed to completing high quality, client ready work. They are continually developing their knowledge of the group benefits industry, gaining insight into the organization, and work done by other practices.
The incumbent will be responsible for providing analytical and problem solving support to clients and other members of the team.
Primary Responsibilities: Working with a broad range of clients in a variety of industry sectors, the analyst represents an integral part of the aggregate client management team. They are relied upon to provide timely responses to client inquiries, support the consulting team in gathering data, perform financial analysis, and review documentation related to clients’ life, disability, extended health, and dental care programs.
Below you will find the key deliverables that a Health & Benefits analyst would be expected to complete:
70% – Analytical and consulting
• Prepare and assist with actuarial valuations and benefit plan reserves
• Collect, analyze, and interpret group benefit plan renewals
• Negotiate renewal ratings with insurance providers
• Analyze and compare insurance products, services, and contracts
• Perform plan audits and design deliverables for prospective clients
• Prepare and draft client deliverables for review by consultant
• Provide quarterly analysis of cost drivers by reviewing client’s claims experience data
• Design, distribute and evaluate responses to surveys/request for proposals
• Assist with pricing and summarizing impacts of design alternatives
• Provide peer review of work completed by peers
• Provide support for new projects
30% – Administration and client support
• Provide direct day-to-day problem solving support for clients by phone and e-mail
• Act as the point of contact during consultant absences
• Review contracts and compare with employee booklets/update employee booklets
• Facilitate occasional employee presentations
• Update tools and processes
• Support internal administration team
• Review websites and bills delivered by our administration system
• Facilitate communication between internal departments
Experience and Education
We require a technically strong candidate who has:
• Post-secondary education and/or related courses in group benefits (CEBS);
• Proficiency in the use of MS Office, particularly Excel , Word and Power Point;
• Exceptional customer focus;
• Excellent communication, presentation and organizational skills;
• Excellent time management skills and the ability to manage multiple assignments and priorities effectively;
• Proven ability to be a dedicated team player, who demonstrates initiative and independence;
• Intermediate to advanced-level proficiency with computers and software including Microsoft Office Suite and specifically Word, Excel and PowerPoint.
This is an evolving position with room for growth for the right individual. Critical factors for success in this role will depend on the candidate’s commitment to a high level of accuracy and accountability, communication skills, business acumen, and pride in one’s work.
Morneau Shepell is in the business of helping organizations help their people because we believe that engaged people are the driving force for society. Every day, the expertise of our almost 4,000 employees is recognized as essential to the financial security, health, and productivity of our clients and their people.
We’re always looking for talented professionals and strategic leaders who will listen and work together with colleagues and clients to form long-term relationships and to deliver integrative solutions that fit.
As we continue to grow, we’re presently engaging with exceptional candidates interested in a range of exciting career opportunities. At www.morneaushepell.com you can explore our careers page to learn more about the solutions we deliver and the great people who help us do it. Follow us on LinkedIn and Twitter(Morneau_Shepell, Shepell).
We are thankful for your interest, but unfortunately, we can only personally connect with those selected for an interview.