July 5th, 2022
CFLPA Updates on member grievance for Chris Edwards
The CFLPA provided an update today on the matter of Chris Edwards of the Toronto Football Club, who was initially suspended six games for an incident occurring on December 5th, 2021, at the semi-final playoff game in Toronto, Ontario.
The CFLPA filed a grievance on January 3rd, 2022, and the case went to arbitration.
As part of the arbitration process, a settlement was negotiated whereby Mr. Edwards agreed to serve a 3-game suspension, and the league agreed to work with the union on implementing a fan code of conduct that is to be prominently displayed at all CFL game venues.
The language of the code of conduct was agreed to at our recent CBA negotiations and is as follows:
CFL/CFLPA Fan Code of Conduct
The CFL and its Member Clubs are committed to creating a safe, comfortable and enjoyable experience for its fans. CFL fans have a right to expect an environment in which they will be treated with respect by venue, team and League personnel. The Players and Officials have the same rights. Accordingly, fans are responsible for their own conduct.
Violation of the Fan Code of Conduct may result in ejection from the venue without a ticket refund, and/or a ban from future CFL games.
The following behaviors are prohibited:
- Behavior that is unruly, disruptive or illegal in nature
- Over-intoxication or other signs of alcohol or substance impairment
- Offensive language or obscene gestures, including the use of such language or gestures concerning a person’s race, ancestry, place of origin, colour, ethnic origin, citizenship, religion, gender, sexual orientation, age or disability; or to instigate, incite or encourage a confrontation or physical assault
- Interference with the progress of the game (including throwing objects onto the field)
- Failing to follow instructions of stadium personnel
The CFL has a zero tolerance policy to any form of racism or racial discrimination aimed at its Players, Officials or CFL Personnel.
The CFL and its Member Clubs thank you for adhering to the provisions of the Fan Code of Conduct.
The CFLPA is pleased with the outcome of the grievance process, as well as the establishment of the new code of conduct which aims to provide a safe and respectful environment for CFLPA members and fans.