Player Rep Profiles
Jake Thomas is a Canadian Football League Players’ Association (CFLPA) Player Representative for the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. Thomas, a native of Douglas, New Brunswick, played his university Football with the Acadia Axemen of the CIS, before eventually being drafted by the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, 29th overall in the 2012 CFL Draft. Thomas is now in his 12th season with the Bombers, having racked up 148 tackles in 176 career games. Jake Thomas is also a 2-time Grey Cup champion, having won the trophy in 2019, and 2021.
Now, in his third year as a Player Representative for the CFLPA, we sat down with Jake and asked him the following questions:
- Why did you want to become a CFLPA Player rep?
Just being someone who had been in the league for awhile, I thought I had a responsibility to become a rep for my locker room especially during a cba year.
- This is your 12th season playing in Winnipeg. How do you enjoy living in Winnipeg and how does it compare to living in New Brunswick?
I love Winnipeg it has so many nice restaurants, and it has a lot of major musical acts and entertainment come to the city. Also, the people are friendly like they are on the East coast.
I would say the biggest difference from home is just the number of headliners concerts that come to the area.
- What is your favorite memory from playing football at Acadia?
I would say that it would have to be winning the 2011 Aus championship.
- What are some of your favourite things to do away from football and in the offseason?
I love to spend my time playing with my kids and dog, and to spend time with my family and friends.
- What is your favorite part of the CFLPA AGM meetings?
I really enjoy the comradely between the reps and getting to meet the guys and create relationships with them away from the Football field.
- What is your ideal bye week during the season.
I like to lay low and just spend my time being around family and friends with good weather.
- What did it mean to you to win the Grey Cup?
It was an unbelievable experience. It was well worth the wait. Winning the Grey Cup helps create friendships, bonds and memories that will last forever.
- What advice would you have for any players who want to pursue a career in pro football?
Work hard and enjoy the process. It goes by fast.
- Who has inspired/helped you the most in your Football career?
The people who inspired me to get in the game would have been my older brothers Josh and Billy and my Grandfather Joey George.